Saturday, October 10, 2009

Thought on Microsoft Requirement Management

Some of my friends and neighbors, who are not IT professional, asked me why their computers become slower and slower and they usually need to reformat the hard drive every 3 to 6 months. I usually run some clean tools, uninstall some extra application, and defragmenter their hard-drive. It happened very often indeed, sometimes even my relatives in China will ask me.

I don't understand why Microsoft does not want to put it under a default background task for Windows, execute when the CPU got enough bandwidth. Just like they reserve 20%  of the network bandwidth to download Windows update upon network idle. It should be a super trivial project for Microsoft, maybe just some crontabs. Or MS have done that but I don't know?

I was involved in the CMMI improvement work for Seagate. So I am wondering how effective is Microsoft requirement feedback process, how their marketing team collect the requirement, and how they ensure the Engineering team delivers the product consistent to the Marketing requirement.

From the project I experienced, or have insight of, or learned from web-pages, I think to reach the ultimate goal - requirement integrity (I steal this word from hard-drive data integrity), the most effective way for requirement gathering is to have a web based discussion forum, and itemized requirement, version control on the conclusion is desired also, and have some one responsible to answer questions. An requirement can be itemized, and linked at business level, system level, and software level. The web discussion forum is for collecting offline comments, and a meeting to draw the conclusion is desired. Diagram is also desired to explain the idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment